Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Klaassen-Klassen background...Genealogy

Hi All,
I am finding out a lot of information on my family background. My adopted mother is Mennonite, and even though I am adopted, the background still becomes a part of me. My great grandparents Peter A. Klaassen(also known as P.A. Klaassen) and his wife, Maria (Jantzen) Klaassen were born in Russia. They came to Canada(there was 17 children, but only 14 lived to adulthood), and eventually settled in Hillsboro, Kansas. In 1918, because of conscription of their sons, they came to Canada. Mennonites don't believe in fighting, or violence. They settled in Turnhill, Saskatchewan. My grandfather Daniel W. Klaassen married his wife Tina Klassen(daughter of A.R.D Klassen and Margaret Braun), and they had 6 children. There is so much family history, and it's neat to learn about them, what life was like back then, what they thought, what they were like, etc.

I have also done some genealogy work on my birth family...PARENTEAU(over 1000 descendants from the marriage of Joshua Parenteau and his wife Virginie Chartrand in 1898)...as well as the CHARTRAND family. Metis families usually have humongous families, and mine is no exception. I mean, I have 8 brothers and 5 sisters, so that should say it all. Ages 13 to 33.

In about 2 years, I plan to have a PARENTEAU family reunion in Winnipeg, Mb, which is a huge undertaking, but since talking with many relatives and descendants, there is a huge interest in having a reunion. So that will be neat. And it will be a learning experience, as I will be the one in charge. Maybe I don't know exactly what I am getting into to...but...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home