Monday, November 01, 2004

Just a couple of weeks till Christmas...well a bit more than a couple!!

Right now, I am listening to selections from The Carpenters' seasonal holiday collections, 1978's CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT and 1984's AN OLD FASHIONED CHRISTMAS. Remarkable. As you all know, Karen Carpenter is my favorite secular singer. What a voice! She had such a unique quality in her voice, soothing, something you could relate to. She was personable, with her own style, her own impeccable intonation and superb control. This girl knew how to sing. Of course I love the Carpenters musical oevre, but listening to her sing Christmas songs is out of this world.

I was able to obtain, back in Christmas of 2001, a 5 video set of the Carpenters television and video appearances. It had, 2 of their TV Specials, Carpenters at Christmas 1977 and A Christmas Portrait 1978. I was enamored with both specials, seeing her visually, and hearing her sing some gorgeous songs. Some songs stand out for me, with the notable one being Bach/ Gonaud's AVE MARIA, and seeing Karen wearing a white, form fitted gown, standing in a sea of tall candles, beside a seated Richard accompanying her on keyboards. She sings that song as it were especially tailored for her, and her alone. Her pronounciation is amazing, and the range from low to high. It gives me chills to hear her sing this song...two words...pure perfection. I also loved her version of THE CHRISTMAS SONG, which shows Karen wearing a green satin jumpsuit, in her condo, singing that song. Beautiful. Or of Karen dueting with guest star Georgia Engels(of Mary Tyler Moore fame), singing Silent Night in German. Or of Richard playing O HOLY NIGHT with an orchestra. My only complaint, is Karen should have sung this song to his superb accompaniement. Still today, I always imagine what she would have sounded like, had she sung this. MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING, a Number One Christmas single from the early 1970's is also another classic to hear, and to see Karen sing this, dressed in a period piece costume is enchanting. Other songs that are awesome are CHRIST IS BORN and SLEIGH RIDE.

It was also neat to see Karen and Richard appear on Perry Como's Christmas Special back in 1974, and they sing the gorgeous SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN TO TOWN.
I always feel, that Christmas is not Christmas without Karen Carpenter's voice! She gets me into the holiday mood.

2 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

OK, so New Year's resolution for Cameron. To find someone or something other than Karen to talk about.

Hmmm...you could talk about me, but well let's not go getting crazy. What I want to know is why you never mention the superb TRUMPET PLAYER Karen was.

*ducking from, what I'm sure is, something being hucked at me*

9:06 AM  
Blogger Cameron83 said...

You are SOOO FUNNY Denise!! But you must admit, I don't talk about Karen that much, and I had forgotten that Karen did indeed play the trumpet. Did you know, that she was the most famous trumpet playing female ever!! She won a Grammy for her trumpet instrumental song...MY NAME IS DENISE IMELDA!!(tee hee hee)...

Cam

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home