Friday, May 20, 2005

Picture of my great grandparents wedding day...Peter A. Klaassen and Maria Jantzen in 1892

Here is a photo that my dear Auntie Erla sent me, of her grandparents, Peter A Klaassen and his wife Maria Jantzen(pronounced MARIAH), who married in Kansas in 1892. I believe P.A. Klaassen was born in Prangnau, South Russia, and Maria Jantzen was born in Gnadenfeld, South Russia...both Mennonite Colonies. Their families emigrated to Canada and USA after 1874.

What I love about this picture, is the way it is. Usually it seems the man should be standing and the bride sitting. Also, the pose of it is so neat. There is no smiling, but Maria Jantzen seems to have a hint of a smile on her face. I also love her outfit. Very plain, as Mennonites at that time, did not dress flashy, did not wear lace, and always wore head coverings, kerchiefs. Maria is wearing a bonnet, with the bow under her chin. Peter Klaassen is dressed like the men at that time. Very simple. She was 19 and he was 21.

Another note to add...Peter A. Klaassen's sister is Aganetha Klaassen, who married Abram Groening. And their descendant, and my third cousin is Matt Groening, creator of the Simpsons.

My thoughts,
Cameron

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home